2013/05/29

Apple Toffee Cheesecake


I ♥ cheesecake. I might even be a bit obsessed with it. Cheesecakes are easy, they’re versatile and there’s not a whole lot you can actually do wrong with them.

We Germans are actually very uncreative when it comes to cheesecake. Here, cheesecake is usually made out of quark and vanilla pudding, sometimes with a little semolina sprinkled in. If you’re lucky, there’s gonna be some fruit on top. And that’s pretty much it.

So color me surprised when I discovered The Cheesecake Factory the first time I lived in the U.S. First time I had their Dulce de Leche Cheesecake? Serious foodgasm. So ever since, cheesecake has been my go-to-cake. Usually I just throw in whatever I’ve got lying around and don’t measure anything and so far, I’ve never had one not taste good.


Lately, I’ve had a lot of apples leftover at the end of the week and for some reason, they go bad really fast, so I needed a way to use them up this weekend before I was forced to throw them out. Et voilà – the go-to-cheesecake! I actually have a favorite cheesecake recipe with apples and caramel, but since I only had half of the stuff for that here, I improvised a little.



Apple Toffee Cheesecake

Ingredients (for a 24cm spring pan):

100g crushed caramel cookies (or other cookies of your choice)
3-4 tbsp butter
400g cream cheese
3 eggs
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 medium-sized, sweet apples
1 tsp cinnamon
50g slivered almonds
4 tbsp toffee syrup/bread spread or just toffees

1. Line the bottom of a spring pan with parchment paper. Melt the butter and pour over the finely crushed cookies. Mix together with a fork or spoon until the cookie crumbs are moist. [You can check if the crumbs have the right consistency by pressing some to the side of the bowl with the spoon or fork. If they stick, they're fine, if they fall right back down, add a little more butter]. Press the crumbs evenly to the bottom of the spring pan.

2. Put the the cream cheese, eggs, sugar and vanilla extract in bowl and mix until smooth. Pour the batter over the cookie crust.

3. Peel the apples and cut them into smallish pieces of roughly the same size. Sprinkle with cinnamon and distribute them evenly over the batter. Press them slightly down if they don't sink into the batter.

4. Bake on 180°C for 45 minutes.

5. Let the cake cool slightly before pouring the toffee syrup on top [I used toffee bread spread - for the Germans: "Original Muh Muhs Brotaufstrich" - which had to be slightly warmed so it could be poured. If you use toffees, heat them over a bain marie until they melt].

6. Roast the slivered almonds in a pan without using oil or butter. Stir frequently so they don't burn. Scatter on top of the cake and dust with powdered sugar.

Enjoy!


♥ Nicole

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen