2014/05/01

Collared Top (....oh, and happy 1st blogaversary to me)


Wow. I can't believe it's been a year already, but: today is actually my blog's first anniversary. I can't say I've actually accomplished what I've set out to do in the past year, but unfortunately real life got in the way more often than not. I thought I'd post more often, I thought my photography skills would actually improve a little over time and I thought I'd sew and bake a lot more than I actually did. Well, that didn't happen. But maybe it will this year. No promises, though. ;)

Anyway. Instead of celebrating with a cake, I'm celebrating with some sewing projects. On Easter I actually had a long weekend (my first actual free weekend since Christmas!), so I used the time for a sewing marathon. Considering how slow I am, I didn't manage to get as much done as I wanted, but I'm still happy with what I've accomplished, even though all of the pieces I made had a dozen couple of maaaaaajor minor construction mistakes (well it's me, what did you expect?).

This one I love though, despite its numerous flaws. I made the pattern myself (....which probably explains a lot....) and I'm in love with the fabric, even though it wrinkles as soon as you look at it the wrong way. The neckline is a little deeper than I had planned - which looks good I think, but also means I will never be able to bend over wearing that top because you can literally see through to my shoes if I do. It was also my first attempt at making cap sleeves and while I think they turned out alright, I think I also learned what to do better next time around. I'm still contemplating hemming the neckline on the back with some bias tape (because I kind of botched it a little while sewing), but I'm not sure how to actually do that without having to re-open the shoulder seams. So I'm a little scared of doing more harm than good.


I'm also a big fan of the collar. I have a dress with a similar collar that I've tried to replicate, though this one turned out a lot bigger than the one on my dress. At first I was a little afraid that it would look a little weird when you wear it (I kind of expected it to look like a bib), but it actually curves perfectly around the bust (Heh! I love it when stuff works out without me having to do anything.) So now it just needs to get a little warmer outside so I can actually wear it.



Alright. I'm off to the fabric market (...not that I actually NEED new fabric considering I have enough for the next...dozen projects at least still lying around here). Got vacation time coming up at the end of May - I see another sewing marathon in my future!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen